The adventures (and non-adventures) of a marginally seasoned attorney.

.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Aggravation in the Workplace

Okay, we all get a little aggravated at work.  We can't always express these feelings of aggravation the way we want to, and leaving them bottled up inside can create all kinds of problems, such as, say, getting fired once the bottle is uncorked. Now, I suppose that if you get fired, then you won't be dealing with those workplace frustrations anymore. But then you're dealing with a whole other mess of problems, like not being able to sleep at night because you're forced to move into your parents' basement that scared the crap out of you when you were a kid because there were weird noises coming from it and it also smelled.

But OH THANK GOODNESS, none of this has to happen to you, my friend! Today, I'm going to share with you some of my favorite ways to tackle workplace aggravation in a positive manner. Believe me, they work. As a practicing lawyer, I've had *plenty* of opportunity to test these out.

  • Find your inner Care Bear - Remember the Care Bears? Those cute, cuddly little bears that had their own TV series? Yeah, they were pretty awesome. What is also awesome that there are about 67 different Care Bear characters now. And not every Care Bear is a frickin' ray of sunshine, personality-wise. When I am aggravated, I post a picture of one of those mean little Care Bears - usually Grumpy Bear - to my office-wide chat profile. At first glance, everyone thinks "Oh, what a cute bear!" but it's my way of passive aggressively yelling "AAAH GRUMPY GRUMPY GRUMPY GRUMPY!" to the entire office.
  • Ship frivolous stuff to your workplace - I absolutely love buying random, nonsensical stuff on the internet, and it's *so* much fun having it arrive at the office. Seriously, how can you have a bad day when a box filled with bandaids that look like bacon is sitting on your desk? It's impossible.
  • Lift heavy stuff - Every day when I leave work, I go straight to my local CrossFit box and lift heavy stuff. Now, I could lie to you and say that I CrossFit for the purpose of releasing aggression in a positive way, but really, I do it because I want to have abs and be a badass. HOWEVER, the release of workplace frustration is an added bonus. Come to think of it, CrossFit helps me throughout the work day, even when I'm not lifting; when I have a bad day at work, I can think to myself "Hey, at least I have sweet muscles now," and then I feel better.
  • When all else fails, eat ice cream - Look, I can try to be as positive as I want to be, but sometimes, a gal's gotta eat ice cream. I keep about three tubs of ice cream in the office freezer at any given time. Guess it's a good thing I'm going to CrossFit right after work.
Every now and then, none of these will work. And that's why God invented vacation days. I recommend using this time to go someplace with a beach, preferably one where someone will bring you umbrella drinks.

No comments: