The adventures (and non-adventures) of a marginally seasoned attorney.

.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

How to pass the bar exam without even trying

Okay, the title of this post is complete crap. There is no way you can pass the Arkansas bar exam without trying.* I just wanted to get your attention, mainly because I like attention. And also because I have something important to say.

This post is for everyone taking the bar exam this month. You have been studying for weeks. You are tired of studying. You are tired of the law. You are tired of people - BarBri lecturers, bar examiners, friends. You are just plain tired. And every outsider is saying "Oh, you're smart, you'll pass!" and that doesn't make you feel better, it makes you feel worse, because you *don't* know if you're going to pass and AHHH STOP TELLING ME I'M GOING TO PASS YOU'RE STRESSING ME OUT I NEED ANOTHER CUPCAKE!!!

To you, my dear friends, I tell you this: This all sucks. It sucks real bad. And I'm not going to tell you that you're going to do a great job, because I don't know that. In fact, you might get the lowest score in the history of the bar exam for all I know. However...

No matter how miserable or worried you are right now, don't let me or anyone else tell you what you need to be doing these last two weeks leading up to the exam.  People will want to give you last minute advice - and be gracious, because they really are trying to help. Don't feel the need to take that advice, though. You may not know the law, but by gosh, you know you. You've been doing what you're doing for two months, so go ahead and do what works for you. If you're confident in nothing else, be confident that you've prepared to the best of your abilities. And if you do feel the need to freak out, go get some chocolate. It makes everything better.

Okay, that's all I've got. Go knock the heck out of that wretched, wretched exam, m'dears.

*Notice how I said you can't pass the *Arkansas* bar exam without trying. Missouri had a ridiculous pass rate last year of like 90%. I'm not saying you can pass that exam without trying. But I'm not saying that you can't, either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like this article is "advice" I should ignore too...

Glutton for Punishment said...

Exactly.

Salaam Bhatti said...

Thanks for the post! In the words of Gimli, "Keep breathing, that's the key...breeeathe"