The adventures (and non-adventures) of a marginally seasoned attorney.

.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Post-Election Walk of Shame

I slept in my clothes last night. I'd had a long evening watching election results, and as I strolled down my staircase this morning, I looked like I was having a post-election walk of shame of sorts. I wandered over to the kitchen, still in rumpled clothing from the day before, and the once-crisp campaign stickers that were clinging to my shirt were starting to curl at the corners. I had been a believer last night, but this morning, I felt like a sucker.

I brewed six cups worth of coffee as I listened to George Stephanopoulos and the rest of the Good Morning America crew. I only drank about three of those cups, but perhaps I should have looked into gulping down the rest. It was going to take a lot to cure the election hangover, and even if caffeine wouldn't fix it, at least it would be a nice distraction. The election news on the television was the same as last night - America decided to go mostly Republican. This meant I got to spend my morning being even more cranky than I usually am, and that's a hard thing to do.

I made an omelette. The omelette wasn't intentional - I was planning on making regular ol' scrambled eggs, but I got distracted and forgot to actually do the scrambling. So as I was eating this unintentional omelette, I got to hear all the morning punditry - "This means blah blah blah" and "What's going to happen in 2012 grumble grumble" and all of that exciting stuff. It's the same drivel we've been fed for months, except this time around, the pundits had more material to work with. Every number had to "mean" something, and I'm sure that for the next week, I will get to hear even more analyses of the meaning of each one.

However, in my cranky, groggy, omelette-induced state, I decided that I was not going to look into the deeper meaning of what happened last night. I know that some people like to pick apart the implications and analyze "what's going to happen next," but for the moment, I'm just going to accept the fact that we got screwed. Maybe, once post-election hangover wears off, I can take a look at what happened and think about the future. For now, I will sip my coffee and take it like an adult.

1 comment:

Adam said...

The Florida Senate seat went to a Republican during a waning crescent moon, meaning that things still do not look good for the Royals in 2012.