The adventures (and non-adventures) of a marginally seasoned attorney.

.

Monday, February 1, 2010

I hear Darth Vader is looking for a sales manager, too

What a nice email I received this morning:

Dear Sales Professional,

We have received your application/resume in regard to our search for top direct sales and marketing executives in your area.

Your application will be forwarded to the Regional Manager in your area for review and you will be contacted within 24-48 hours.

We are experiencing rapid growth and we are looking to speak with you.

Sincerely,

[Some shady corporation]

cc: [He's probably shady, too], VP - Sales


While I am flattered that [shady corporation] is looking to speak with me, there are a few small problems here:

1. I am not a sales professional 
2. I never submitted my resume to this corporation
3. Until I received this email, I had never even heard of this corporation

Now, I could just blow this email off, but I've got to keep in mind that I'm still unemployed post-graduation. So after the message popped up in my inbox this morning, I decided to google [shady corporation] in case I decided to advantage of this exciting job opportunity.  As it turns out, [shady corporation] is an "Accounts Receivable Management Firm," which in plain English means "debt collectors."

I'm not saying they deserve it, but debt collectors probably rank at the top of the "people most likely to get punched in the face" list, if one were to compile such a list. I mean, even people in the Bible talked smack about debt collectors (though Jesus befriended them anyway, because he's forgiving like that).  That being said, I do not believe I will be pursuing this job opportunity.


Economic times may be hard, and the legal job market may be atrocious right now, but I have faith that the right job will come along. And if it doesn't, that's okay, too.  Just so long as I can pay my bills, I'll be in good shape.  And if I can't pay the bills... I guess I know who will be coming after me.

1 comment:

Ms. 20-Something Career Gal said...

AMEN! You will find a job that is right for you. I definitely received CALLS from people like this, who I A) never sent my resume too, and B)who seemed to good to be true. Gotta love Shady Corporate America. Happy Job Hunting!