The adventures (and non-adventures) of a marginally seasoned attorney.

.

Friday, October 3, 2008

One shining moment

So last week I decided that I never, ever want to be a trial lawyer.

The decision may or may not have had something to do with the fact that I failed to make a complete sentence at any point during my pre-trial conference for trial class. And the pre-trial conference was bad enough that I had to go and buy chocolate so I could feel better. Actually, I probably would have bought the chocolate regardless. But I digress.

Unfortunately, I made this decision about one day after I had signed up to be in the law school's mock trial competition. So after I had eaten the chocolate (Hershey's with almonds, by the way) and said "Screw trial work," I realized I was still stuck with this dang competition. Yeah, not pleased. And I really didn't want to do any more work than I had to, so I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't do well enough to advance to the next round. In fact, my only real goal for the competition was not to fall flat on my face. Or my ass. Or anything else. But mainly my face or my ass.

So round one of the competition was this last week. I was as nervous as all getout and I was running on almost no sleep. And it was pretty obvious during trial. I said something mistrial worthy in one of my direct examinations. I forgot the relevance of every piece of evidence I tried to enter.

I got an email today from the Board of Advocates congratulating me on advancing to the next round.

Dang it.

2 comments:

JD Yates said...

You're hilarious. This reminds me of an episode of Southpark in which the boys try desperately to suck at baseball so they can go home. They end up advancing to the finals and winning the title, so hang in there sister. ;-)

mcloud0125 said...

Congrats? I think? You apparently are so amazing that you cannot even throw a trial when trying.

I'm going to need a business card from you sometime soon I'm sure.