The adventures (and non-adventures) of a marginally seasoned attorney.

.

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Silence is Golden

Recent discovery: Once you become a law student, everyone in the world who isn't a classmate of yours is capable of asking you only one question:

So, how's law school?

Yep, always asked, no matter what. Family functions, dinner with friends, running into former professors, phone calls from a guy you used to date (randomly: I have NO idea why he's calling, because it's not like we ever had anything to talk about while we actually were dating. I don't know why he thinks that 8 months later we magically have common interests).

Anyway, when first I discovered this truth, it kind of bothered me a bit. You know, I've always had a lot of interesting things going on in my life, like my music, writing, social functions, etc, but no one really asks about any of that anymore. And that kind of ticked me off when I first realized it. But then, I began to think about it a little bit... and I came to a startling realization: If anyone asked me anything other than this question, I would have nothing to tell them.

That's right, folks, yours truly is officially boring now. Wanna ask me about life estates and future interests? Go right ahead, I could spout out a dazzling answer for you. Ask me anything about my social life? I'll probably say I don't have one.

I was visiting with a friend who attends another law school the other day, and he told me "I don't want to talk about law school." Well, dang it. That just eliminated about 90% of anything I could possibly say.

So yes, this woman who used to pride herself on her conversational skills is now at a loss for words. Very strange feeling indeed. I kind of miss talking, but, I suppose I have more pressing things to do at the moment. Anyway, I guess if you wanted to get something out of reading this post, it would be this: If you want me to shut the hell up, just tell me that you don't want to talk about law school. Works every time.

No comments: