The adventures (and non-adventures) of a marginally seasoned attorney.

.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Kindness of Strangers

So I was going to tell you this long, drawn-out story about my preparations for negotiations competition, but I think instead I'll just tell you what happened at the end of story and leave it at that.

I, all dolled up in my lawyer attire, wound up sitting in the student union with a tattooed stranger who
1) Invited me to study with him, even though I'd never met him before
2) Repeatedly called me "sweetie" (Note: I was NOT cool with that)
3) Took a great interest in whether I drank and how old I was
4) Kept on trying to offer me the Jack and Coke he had stashed in a pop bottle
5) Chugged said Jack and Coke while grading essays for an intro-level class he taught

Yeah.

Anyway, after the negotiations were all was said and done, things didn't go too shabbily. No regrets about how things played out. We got a lot of good advice from the judges. I know I'm strong in certain areas, I know what my weaknesses are, and I know what I'll do different next time. That being said, I'll probably stick to my guns about not accepting offers of Jack and Coke from random guys in the student union. I know better than to take candy from strangers.

No comments: